This nationally-recognised course dramatically enhances your employability as a teacher. It leads to the award of a Certificate in Education incorporating the Diploma in Education and Training, at NQF Level 5 by Plymouth University.
On successful completion it provides the opportunity to achieve QTLS (Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills) in the Further Education and skills sector.
The course comprises four core modules:
- Learning, Teaching and Assessment
- Theories of Learning and Managing Behaviour
- Curriculum and Society
- Wider Practice and Professional Development
Teaching and Assessment
Teaching and learning methods include classroom-based group sessions, small group work, discussions, and individual tutorials.
Each module is assessed by an assignment or equivalent, a professional portfolio evidencing development and observations of your teaching practice.
To enter the course, you will need to evidence your ability to fulfil the following requirements:
- Appropriate professional practice (a minimum of 100 hours of direct teaching practice plus 30 hours additional professional practice over the duration of the course). This should be in a teaching role that carries the full range of responsibilities, whether on a full-time, part-time, fractional, fixed term, temporary or agency basis in the Further Education and Skills sector. Appropriate practice is considered to be, for example, a further education college (including HE in FE), a sixth form college, grant funded work-based learning, offender learning, community/adult education and the public sector.
- Access to a subject-specialist mentor (who holds a suitable teaching qualification available to observe your teaching practice and meet with you on a regular basis).
- An appropriate subject and/or professional qualification, usually at Level 3 in the area you wish to teach or evidence of industry, commercial or professional experience.
- English qualifications at NQF Level 2 and Maths at Level 1.
- Positive references from two referees.
- A successful interview.