Foundation Degree Food Technology & Development

Course Details

  • Start Date
    September 2018
  • Duration
    2 years
  • Attendance
    Full Time
  • Awarding Body
    Plymouth University
  • Cost
    TBC
  • Centre Location
    Cannington
  • Course Description

    The food and drink sector directly employs up to 400,000 people nationally, and as many as 1.2 million in ancillary services; It has a particularly strong presence in the South West with many household names based here. It's a fast moving, ever changing and innovative industry to be involved in. There is currently a skills shortage and strong demand for qualified students.

    The qualification has been designed in collaboration with the industry to ensure that students will develop the necessary skills and knowledge needed for employment and as the foundation for a successful career.

    Example modules include:

    You will study basic underpinning science and statistics as well as a number of specific vocational modules which may include:

    • Food Analysis, Microbiology and Chemistry
    • Primary Processing and Unit Operations
    • Quality Assurance Concepts
    • Food Processing and Preservation
    • Food Sustainability 
  • Teaching and Assessment

    You will learn via a combination of different practical and theoretical methods including practicals, visits, seminars, case studies and in-class lectures.

    Modules are generally assessed via a series of practical assignments, which account for 60% of the final mark; the end of module written examination generates the other 40%. Some modules are 100% assignment based. 

  • Progression Opportunities

    Graduates will have the opportunity to progress on to the BSc (Hons) Food Chain Management at University Centre Somerset or other relevant degree top-up courses at other universities. Alternatively, this course will provide you with the knowledge to enter one of the following careers: quality assurance, technical management, food processing and production, engineering, new product or process development, nutrition, marketing, sales, purchasing, production planning, microbiologist, lab technician or specification technologist. 

  • Entry Requirements

    You will require a full Level 3 qualification in a relevant subject and at least four GCSEs at grades A* - C or Grade 4 including Maths and English or a Level 2 equivalent. Mature applicants with relevant experience who do not have the stated entry requirements are encouraged to apply.