This is an ideal programme for graduates of an animal or conservation based foundation degree or HND wishing to further their study to gain a full honours degree. This course concentrates on aspects of animal psychology, wildlife conservation and habitat monitoring. In addition, you will also undertake research in an area of your interest. This qualification provides graduates with the potential for employment in a range of animal management and conservation professions and aims to develop management skills and knowledge, alongside research techniques and evaluative thinking.
Modules could include:
• Psychology of Animals: Captive, Companion and Wild
• Wildlife Conservation and Environmental Surveying
• British Wildlife and Rehabilitation of Animals
• Behavioural Management: Domestic and Zoological Animals
• Sustainability and Habitat Project Management (Option)
Teaching and Assessment
The modules are either assessed via 100% coursework or a combination of coursework and formal examination.
Coursework could comprise of: written/practical reports, in-class tests, case studies, essays, vivas, oral presentations, posters, dissertation, which allows independent research in a topic of interest, developed with staff on the programme.
Successful completion of the Degree will provide you with the opportunity to progress to employment or further study in an agriculture/food-related subject.
This course will prepare you well for employment in the industry in positions such as a farm manager, rural surveyor, unit manager, farm contractor, senior herdsman or working within the management team of associated food industries
The course could help you gain employment within an animal establishment, zoological collection, wildlife organisation or conservation body. In addition, upon successful completion of the BSc (Hons) Top-up, a Master’s Degree or PhD could be an option. Graduates could progress to a MSc in Animal Behaviour or Primate/Wildlife/Zoo Conservation or Countryside Management.
Typically entrants will possess:
• A complete Level 5 qualification with all modules at a pass or above e.g. FdSc or HND in a relevant topic.
• 5 GCSEs including English Language, Mathematics and Science at 9 to 4 grades or minimum of Grade C
• Minimum 80 UCAS points in a vocational diploma qualification, e.g. BTEC (QCF) MMP (Extended), DM (90 Credit Diploma), or C&G Advanced Technical: M (1080), D (720), D* (540)
• Access to HE Diploma in a relevant subject
Are there any additional costs for the course?
Who to contact with your questions
Meet your lecturers