This nationally-recognised course dramatically enhances your employability as a teacher. It leads to the award of a Postgraduate Certificate in Education, at NQF Level 7 or Professional Graduate Certificate in Education a NQF Level 6 by Plymouth university. This course has the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (DET) embedded into its structure.
On successful completion it provides the opportunity to achieve QTLS (Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills) in the Further Education and skills sector.
The course comprises four core modules:
- Learning, Teaching and Assessment
- Theories of Learning and Managing Behaviour
- Curriculum and Society
- Wider Practice and Professional Development
Teaching and Assessment
Teaching and learning methods used include classroom-based group sessions, small group work, discussions, and individual tutorials.
Each module is assessed by an assignment or equivalent, as well as the submission of a professional portfolio evidencing development & observation of your teaching practice.
To enter the course, you need to show that you can fulfil the following requirements:
- Appropriate professional practice (a minimum of 100 hours of direct teaching practice plus 30 hours additional professional practice over the duration of the course). This should be in a role that carries the full range of teaching responsibilities, whether on a full-time, part-time, fractional, fixed term, temporary or agency basis in the Further Education and Skills sector. Appropriate practice is considered to be, for example, a further education college (including HE in FE), teaching in a sixth form college, grant funded work-based learning, offender learning, community/adult education and the public sector.
- A subject-specialist mentor (who holds a suitable teaching qualification and is available to observe your teaching practice and meet with you on a regular basis).
- An appropriate degree.
- English qualifications at NQF Level 2 and Maths at Level 1
- Positive references from two referees.
- A successful interview.