The aim of the course is to help you to develop the creative skills required to achieve success in your future career. Disciplines include: illustration, photography, animation, moving image, graphic design, web design, packaging or advertising. Concepts are looked into across modules that are designed to explore communication through text and image. With an understanding of these skills required to work successfully within the fast-moving and stimulating creative sectors, students who study this programme graduate with the following skills:
• A working knowledge of industry-standard equipment and software.
• A professional understanding of the strength and usage of visual communication.
• An awareness of how to evaluate a client’s needs and to respond successfully to them.
• Experience of working as part of a professional team, gained through group projects and work placements, and through entering national and international design competitions.
• Developing one’s own visual signature, enabling you to generate and express your own personal ideas and beliefs
For more information about regulations and policies relevant to studying with the Open University please visit our Wider Information Set page.
Regulations for validated awards of The Open University and the Appendices can be found here.
Teaching and Assessment
Teaching takes place within the newly refurbished Arts House building utilising a range of purpose-built media and design studios.
Assessment is based on 100% course work and is undertaken through continuous modular assessment. Studio-based assignments are augmented by lectures, seminars and workshops throughout the year. This course is delivered on-site each week across the academic year.
Given to the broad range of disciplines that are covered, this course is an ideal foundation for progression onto the 1 year BA (Hons) Graphic Media and Communication top-up offered by University Centre Somerset.
Typically entrants will possess:
• 64 UCAS points
• or An equivalent vocational qualification (Extended Diploma - MPP/Diploma - MM)
• or A Pre-degree Access Diploma Students also require GCSEs at grade 9-4 (A*-C) including English or equivalent Level 2 Literacy.
Mature applicants with relevant experience who do not have the stated entry requirements are encouraged to apply
For the interview you will be asked to produce a portfolio that must demonstrate your creative skills, subject knowledge and enthusiasm for study.