We are pleased to announce that University Centre Somerset, part of Bridgwater & Taunton College, has achieved a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) 2023. The TEF Panel judged that in relation to student experience and outcomes, at UCS “very high quality and outstanding features apply to all groups of students and courses.”
The TEF was introduced by the Government to recognise and reward excellent learning and teaching at universities, and to provide a “springboard” to increase the number of students who have excellent experiences and outcomes.
The judging panel found elements of outstanding quality that showcase the way that employers enrich student experience in relation to course design and work placements. This judgement supports the UCS ethos of ‘Degrees for Real Life’; our commitment to provide our students with not just a qualification, but a comprehensive toolbox of skills, knowledge and experiences that employers are looking for.
Overall, our Silver award recognises that:
· UCS is addressing local skills gaps (e.g. the need for a local NHS workforce in Somerset) through sustained and strategic proactive partnership with HE providers and employers.
· Students are supported in class and in tutorials to become independent learners able to achieve their qualification and progress into highly skilled employment or further study.
· There is a very supportive environment for students, with small friendly groups and accessible and supportive staff.
· All students have access to the current technologies, tools and techniques used within industry.
· There is evidence of very high quality rates of continuation and typically outstanding rates of completion.
Both the provider and student submissions will be published by TEF and available to view in November 2023. Watch this space!