This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to improve our website and provide more personalised services to you, both on this website and through other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, and information on how to block or delete cookies, please see our Privacy Policy. If you continue to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

15 November, 2019

UCS Men's Football Team Clinch Nail Biting 5-3 Win Against Bath Spa University

After their first win through a penalty shoot-out last week, UCS followed up with a nail biting 5-3 win again Bath Spa University.

After their first win through a penalty shoot-out last week, UCS followed up with a nail biting 5-3 win again Bath Spa University.

In their previous two games UCS have started very slow and have gone behind to early goals, but with Jonny Hunt slotting back into the back four this week, his outstanding organisation and communication allowed UCS to build from a solid platform.

After UCS dominated the first 30 minutes, a towering header from captain Niall Carr made it 1-0 from their set piece specialist, Charlie Green.

With only 5 minutes to go UCS seemed to be coming in with a goal advantage, however Nathan Del Gaudio was pulled up for a foul throw that the referee judged to be taken from the wrong place. From the throw-in came a slight collision and the referee awarded a penalty. With Tom Creed going to correct way it still had enough pace on it for Bath Spa to draw level going into half time.

UCS' first ever goal scorer Luke White made it 2-1 after 50 minutes with a great first touch into the box, smashing the ball into the roof of the net. This seemed to give UCS a spring in their step and after 55 minutes Charlie Green scored direct from a corner.

With UCS changing their shape, Sam Borges picked the ball up just behind the two Bath Spa strikers and shot from 25 yards, taking a slight deflection to wrong foot the keeper, making it 4-1.

A couple of changes were made and a sloppy 15 minutes followed for UCS to allow Bath Spa back into the game. In that 15 minute spell Bath Spa scored two goals to make it 4-3.

However, the last 10 minutes saw UCS regain the ball and on 85 minutes Charlie (Beckham) Green found the top corner from a wide free kick, 25 yards from goal. The game ended 5-3 to UCS.

UCS captain Niall Carr said:

“Plenty of positives from today’s game to take into the next round of the cup next week. The boys worked hard and got the result we deserved. Special mention for the ‘set piece wizard’, Charlie Green, with a wand of a left foot”

Star Man - Charlie Green for his assist for the first goal, scoring direct from a corner and unleashing an unstoppable 25 yard free kick into the top corner.